8 days! 8 days! 8 days until Christmas is here!
This week can be the craziest, most hectic time of year, but also the most joy-filled and tradition packed. From baking those last minute cookies for co-workers or teachers to finding the time to see the Christmas lights or go to the annual parade, family comes first this week.
Show your family you care by baking them these quick and easy banana muffins made with white wheat flour and no butter, vegetable oil, or sugar (except for the topping).
- 3 large, very ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 cups white wheat flour, King Arthur brand
- For the topping:
- Equal part mixture of cinnamon and sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 12-muffin baking tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg. Add the mashed bananas and applesauce, stir until well incorporated. Add remaining ingredients, except the flour and topping mixture, and whisk together. Set aside some of the pecans for topping the muffins later. Add flour gently into the mix being careful not to overmix.
- Fill baking tin with batter. Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture on top of each muffin before baking in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Then add remaining chopped pecans to the muffin tops, press in, and bake for an additional 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a cooling rack before serving.
The applesauce gives the muffins moisture, while the whole wheat flour provides density. The cinnamon/sugar topping is the piece de resistance adding that tiny bit of sweetness perfect for the holiday season. This recipe is super simple, and can be whipped up and plated in less than an hour. Feed the ones you love with something hearty, healthy, and flavorful.
XO, Kitchy Living