If you had to choose, would you rather eat dinners or desserts every day, every meal for the rest life? Every time, hands down, desserts would be my choice. Desserts are my ultimate weakness. Anything with chocolate, peanut butter, or citrus and I’m down like Chinatown.
And when it comes to Key Lime Pie, I just go weak at the knees. The pungent acidity, subtle graham cracker crust, and creamy filling are the perfect complement to hot spring and summer months. However, the classic recipe calls for ingredients like sweetened evaporated milk, heavy cream, and sugar that are riden with fat and calories. Without sacrificing flavor and taste, meet The Minimalist Baker’s recipe for Vegan Key Lime Pies. All you need are 7 ingredients and a few hours of prep!
The idea of portion sizing the recipe makes it that much easier for you to get the taste of sweet without overindulging. Then the flavor! Oh the flavor! Trust me, this is a recipe you don’t want to miss. Also, be sure to let your pies come to room temperature for a few minutes after taking them out of the freezer. They become so much creamier when they have sat out for a while. Be prepared to fall in love with this recipe! I know I have…
Mini Key Lime Pies
1 sleeve graham crackers (crushed into crumbs)
1/4 cup (4Tbsp) vegan butter, melted
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours (or overnight), then drained
3/4 cup light or full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup key lime juice
1/3 – 1/2 cup agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- Add graham crackers to a food processor and process until you achieve a fine meal. Then add melted butter and pulse to combine.
- Distribute evenly among muffin tins and press down with a glass or spoon to flatten. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add all filling ingredients to a blender and blend on high (or liquify) until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lime zest/juice for more tart, or more agave for added sweetness.
- Pour filling into muffin tins and tap on counter to release air bubbles. Top with a bit more lime zest and loosely cover.
- Freeze for 2-4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer for 10-15 minutes to thaw before serving. Will keep covered in the freezer for up to 2 weeks, though best when fresh.
*If you are gluten-free, try gluten-free graham crackers for your crust. Even subbing graham crackers for walnuts or pecans might produce a similar result. I haven’t personally tested it, but I assume the less oily nuts would be able to withstand the food processor and create a rich crust for your key lime pies.