My mom has taught me a lot of things. She’s taught me how to cook, bake, love, and lead. Her life has been a passionate demonstration of a life lived for Christ. But she also has the amazing gift of hospitality. Growing up as a preacher’s daughter, my parents entertained people in their home pretty frequently. I grew up with the understanding that our house was meant to be a place to host all our families, friends, and neighbors. From baby showers to Easter to girls weekends to wedding weekends to bible studies to dinner parties, our house wasn’t just for our family of four. Our house was meant to be a place of solace and comfort to all who entered.
I’m proud of the way my parents have opened up their home to so many with intention. I pray that when my husband and I have a house one day, our home will be a safe haven for those who enter it too. My mom and dad have always said they wanted people to feel comfortable in their home, and I think that is my hope too.
So when I’m entertaining these days, I’m always looking for ways I can cook or prep ahead of time so I’m not slaving away in the kitchen. Being with my friends and family is the first priority, and the second priority is good, wholesome food. I remember my mom saying that quiches are one of the easiest things to make ahead for brunch not to mention they’re budget-friendly. All you need are eggs, milk (of choice), pie crust, veggies, and a meat. Serve it with a side salad, fruit, or something sweet, and you have yourself a meal! It’s a great way to clear out your fridge too.
This Easter, I made an Italian sausage, bell pepper, onion, spinach, and Parmesan quiche. Loved the recipe so much I had to share! Obviously, you can use whatever veggies and meat you have on hand. But this is what was in my fridge at the time, so feel free to make this recipe your own.
6 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
S&P to taste
1 refrigerated pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup raw spinach
meat of choice (turkey sausage, Italian sausage, ham, bacon, crab)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Roll out refrigerated pie crust into slightly greased pie dish.
3. Crack and beat 6 eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Add 3/4 cup of unsweetened canned coconut milk (or whichever milk you prefer). Half & half, 2% milk, or almond milk could be substituted, however they may change the consistency of the quiche.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk until fully incorporated. Add salt and pepper.
5. Cook and dice your choice of veggies and meats. Fold into the eggs with cheese.
6. Pour filling into the pie dish, and bake for 35-40 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
7. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!