This winter, I’ve been getting really into soups. We’ve had colder than normal winter here in South Carolina, so soups have been a saving grace for those cold nights. This soup is
Italian Sausage Spinach Tortellini Soup
1 lb spicy Italian sausage, ground
1 yellow onion, minced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart vegetable stock
1 10oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups fresh spinach
1 10oz fresh tortellini
1/4 block of cream cheese
1. Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat with a tsp of olive oil. Add the Italian sausage, onions, and garlic the pot and sauté until the meat is cooked and the onions are translucent. Drain off excessive fat.
2. Add chicken stock, crushed or diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Whisk until completely incorporated.
3. Bring contents to a boil, season with salt and pepper. Then simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add spinach and tortellini. In a food processor add 1/2 cup of the broth with cream cheese and blend. Add back into the soup pan and stir until incorporated.
5. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until pasta is tender and plump.
6. Serve with parmesan cheese and enjoy!