To be honest, I was afraid to make this. Sometimes trendy foods don’t deserve all the hype. This deserves all the gold stars, blue ribbons, thumbs up, and more!
If you think about it, you probably never realized that pizza crust would be an easy way to sneak in a vegetable. Yes, it is something you have to get used to, but it’s a healthy swap for the traditional wheaty carb-packed crust. Admittedly, I LOVE pizza! I LOVE the crust and the variety of choices. But this is revolutionary. This cauliflower pizza crust changes it all. Now you can enjoy your favorite veggie lovers, supreme, or margherita pizza completely guilt-free. Yes, I can toast to that!
Here is my recipe for Cauliflower Pizza Crust (aka a tiny slice of veggie heaven!):
- 1 small to medium head of cauliflower
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp corn meal
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Wash cauliflower, cut into florets, and dry off all the excess water. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 4 minutes on high heat.
- After it’s fully cooked, place florets into a food processor and chop the cauliflower until it’s the texture of snow.
- Allow the cooked cauliflower to come to room temperature before straining (typically around 10-15 minutes). Strain all the water out of the cauliflower by placing the cauliflower into a cheese cloth or paper towel. Use those muscles, this is a VERY important step which ensures you have crisp crust, so be sure you get as much of the moisture out as you can.
- Mix the Italian seasoning, salt, and two cheeses into the cooked cauliflower. Incorporate the egg into the mixture until it begins to form a dough-like texture. Sprinkle the corn meal on your oiled parchment sheet atop your baking pan. Place the “dough” on a parchment sheet and form into circle, not too thick or too thin. This recipe makes either one large pizza or two smaller pizzas.
- Bake the pizza crusts without any of the toppings for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Add your favorite sauce, toppings, and cheese to the cooked crusts and bake for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Allow the pizza(s) to cool for 2 minutes, slice, and serve.
Best part about this recipe is that you can tailor it to your taste. The crust is simply the canvas to your next pizza masterpiece. My toppings consisted of tomato sauce, kale, mushrooms, onions, yellow peppers, Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese, and shaved parmesan. However, tomato, mozzarella, and basil would be a classic Italian version that’s simple and flavorful. Make it your own and be creative. This is the perfect quick midweek dinner recipe. Make your Wednesday night malto bene with healthful, veggie-packed Cauliflower Pizza Crust.