It’s the First Day of Fall, y’all!
Queue the pumpkin spice, cozy sweaters, fresh-baked pies, autumnal candles, and larger than life leaf piles. This is by far my favorite season because of the beautiful change in the air. Mornings seem crisper. Days seem slower. The weather is milder and joy is palpable.
Fall Fun Facts
- Fall is caused by the Earth’s tilt in relation to the sun not it’s distance from it.
- The beloved colors of fall leaves are actually the result of the breakdown of chlorophyll due to the decreased sunlight and drop in temperature. Those oranges, yellows, and reds are because of lack of pigment, not introduction of it.
- “Fall” wasn’t a term used to describe the season between summer and winter until the 1600’s. Prior to that time, the season was coined “Harvest” or “Autumn”.
- The United States has been “fall[ing] back” for Daylight Saving Time since 1966 when the procedure became a standardized practice.
- Pumpkin spice flavored yogurt, cereal, granola, lattes, even deodorant have become a highlight for many consumers during this season. However, pumpkin spice flavored items in actuality contain very little pumpkin in them, rather they are made with a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. I guess “Harvest Spice” would be a more appropriate name…
This year, I sincerely want to make the most of this season by doing all the best fall things. Last fall in Knoxville with the start of PA school, I was overwhelmed with all the newness and didn’t embrace the season as best as I could. However, this year is different. This year I am going to celebrate the best way I know how, with a bucket list.