Breakfast is truly the most important meal of the day.
I find it’s my favorite meal of the day. That’s probably why I love brunch so much. Any excuse to eat breakfast foods and I’m all in! Eggs, sausage, toast, bacon, pancakes, fruit, and lots of lots of coffee.
What could be better than breakfast?!?
However, if you are trying to cook for a mess of people, finding dishes that satiate without breaking the bank can prove challenging. Casseroles are the perfect compromise! Next time you invite a group of people over to your home for breakfast/brunch, try this recipe. I’ve baked this up a number of times for big crowds of hungry people and it is a hit EVERY TIME!
THE BEST PART: the wholesomeness of the ingredients! Compared to traditional breakfast casseroles, this one is richer in more good-for-you nutrients. Not to mention it’s the perfect casserole for Christmas morning because it’s RED and GREEN. How festive is that!
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Strata
1 loaf crusty wheat bread
2 cups 2% milk (or milk of choice)
2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
2 cups kale or spinach
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 lb turkey sausage
dash red pepper flakes
S&P, to taste
1.Mix together the milk, eggs and some salt and pepper in a large pitcher or bowl. Set aside.
2. Set a large skillet over medium heat and add the turkey sausage and diced onion. Cook until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add spinach or kale into skillet and cook until slightly wilted, 2 minutes.
3. Grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half the bread, half the kale, half the sausage and half the cheese in the prepared pan. Repeat with the other half of the same ingredients, ending with the cheese. Slowly pour the egg mixture all over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or for as long as time permits).
4. 20-30 minutes before baking, remove the dish from the fridge. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Replace the plastic wrap on top of the strata with aluminum foil. Bake for 30-40 minutes, then remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is golden brown and crisp, 10-15 minutes more (keep an eye on it).
6. Serve immediately and enjoy!
BEFORE and AFTER
Here’s a sneak peek at what the dish should look like BEFORE baking and AFTER…